The NCAA bans the following classes of drugs:
- Anabolic Agents
- Alcohol and Beta Blockers (banned for rifle only)
- Diuretics and Other Masking Agents
- Street Drugs
- Peptide Hormones and Analogues
- Beta-2 Agonists
Note: Any substance chemically related to these classes is also banned.
The institution and the student-athlete shall be held accountable for all drugs within the banned drug class regardless of whether they have been specifically identified.
Drugs and Procedures Subject to Restrictions.
- Blood doping
- Gene doping
- Local anesthetics (under some conditions)
- Manipulation of urine samples
- Beta-2 Agonists permitted only by prescription and inhalation.
NCAA Nutritional/Dietary Supplements Warning:
- Before consuming any nutritional/dietary supplement product, review the product with the appropriate or designated athletics department staff. There are no NCAA approved supplement products.
- Dietary supplements, including vitamins and minerals, are not well regulated and may cause a positive drug test result.?
- Student-athletes have tested positive and lost their eligibility from using dietary supplements.
- Many dietary supplements are contaminated with banned drugs not listed on the label.
- Any product containing a dietary supplement ingredient is taken at your own risk.
- Check with your athletics department staff prior to using a supplement.
Examples of NCAA Banned Substances in Each Drug Class
Note to Student-Athletes: There is NO complete list of banned substances.
Do not rely on this list to rule out any label ingredient.
(a) Stimulants :
- Amphetamine (Adderall)
- caffeine (guarana)
- fenfluramine (Fen)
- methylphenidate (Ritalin)
- phentermine (Phen)
- synephrine (bitter orange)
- "bath salts" (mephedrone)
- DMBA etc.
The following stimulants are not banned:
(b) Anabolic Agents (sometimes listed as a chemical formula, such as 3,6,17-androstenetrione):
- DHEA (7-Keto)
- SARMS (ostarine) aetc.
(c) Substances Banned for Specific Sports:
- timolol etc
(d)Diuretics (water pills) and Other Masking Agents:
- spironolactone (canrenone)
- trichlormethiazidee etc.
(e) Street Drugs:
- tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)
- synthetic cannabinoids (e.g., spice, K2, JWH-018, JWH-073)
(f) Peptide Hormones and Analogues:
- Growth hormone (hGH)
- human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG)
- erythropoietin (EPO)
- IGF-1 etc.
- SERMS (nolvadex) etc.
(h) Beta-2 Agonists:
- norcoclaurine etc.
Any substance that is chemically related to the class, even if it is not listed as an example, is also banned!
It is your responsibility to check with the appropriate or designated athletics staff before using any substance.